The concept of Time & Distance remains the same, but the variety of questions is different. It is Quantitative Aptitude questions and it is generally asked in all competitive exams.
Concept of Time & Distance formula:-
The concept of Time & Distance is used for questions relating to a different topic such as motion in a straight line, circular motion, races, and clocks, etc.
Relationship between Time & Distance
Time = Distance/speed ( as the speed increases the time taken will decrease vice versa).
Distance = Speed × Time
Using these formulas, we will solve maximum questions.
Units of Time& Distance
Time – Second (s) , Minute(min) , hour (hr).
Distance – Metre (m) , Kilometre(km) , miles ,feet.
So if distance = km and Time = hr than as
Speed = Distance / Time , the unit of speed will km/ hr.
Distance = Speed × Time, the unit of distance is km/hr
Units of conversation
• To convert km/hr to m/s , we multiply by 5/18
So 1km/ hr = 5/18 m / sec
• To convert m/s to km/ hr, we mutilply by 18/5
So, 1m/s = 18/5 km/hr
• 1km/hr = 5/8 miles/ hr
• 1yard = 3 feet
• 1kilometre = 1000 metre = 0.6214 miles
• 1hour = 60 minutes
• 1mile = 1760 yards
• 1yard = 3 feet
• 1mile = 5280 feet
Also read –
- Time & Distance pdf Syndicate bank latest pattern 2020
- Time & Distance SSC BANK pdf
- Coded Distance and Direction Reasoning Question Bank pdf
Let see some questions based on Time & Distance with tricks and Shortcuts:-
(1) A women covers a distance of 600m in 2min 30sec. What will be the speed in km/hr?
Solutions – Given,
Distance covered = 600m, Time taken = 2min 30sec = 150sec
Therefore, speed = Distance / Time
Speed= 600 / 150 = 4 m/sec
= (4×18/5) km/hr = 14.4 km/ hr
(2) A boy traveling from his home to school at 25 km/hr and came back at 4 km/hr. If the whole journey took 5h 48 min.fin the distance of home and school.
Solution – Given, the distance for both speed is constant.
Average speed = (2xy/ x+y) km/hr, (where x and y are given as speed )
Average speed = (2×25×4)/ 25+4 =200/29 km/hr
Time = 5hours 48min= 29/5 hours
Now, Distance traveled = Average speed × time
⇒ Distance Travelled = (200/29)× (29/5) = 40 km
Therefore the distance of the school from home = 40/2 = 20 km
3) Siya travels at a speed of 63 miles per hour. If she reduces his speed in the ratio 9: 8, find his new speed.
Solution – Given , Speed = 63 miles , reduce ratio= 9/8
speed = (8 × 63) / 9
New speed = 56 miles per hour
(4) A person crosses a 600 m long street in 5m. what is his speed in km/ hr?
Solution – speed = 600/ 5× 60 m/s
= 2× 8/15= 7.2 km/ hr
(5) A plane cover a certain distance at a speed of 2km/hr. Plane cover the same distance in 5/3 hour , it must travel at a speed of
Solution – Distance = 240× 5 = 1200 km
Speed = Distance / Time
= 1200/ 5/3
= 1200× 3/5 = 720 km/h.
(6) Excluded the stoppage, the speed of a bus is 54 km/h and including the stoppage, it is 45 km/ h. For how many minutes does the bus stop per hour
Solution. – Bus speed = Exclude Stoppage – include Stoppage = 54 – 45 = 9km/ h
Time taken to cover = 9/54 ×60 = 10 min.
(7) The speeds of a train is 20 meters per second. It can cross a pole in 10 seconds. What is the length of train
Solution – Length of a train = 20× 10 = 200 m.
(8) A man walk at the rate of 4km/h and cover a distance in 2hr 45 min . Running at a speed of 16.5 km/ h the man will cover in same distance in?
Solution – Distance = speed × Time
Time = 2hr 4 min = 11/ 4 hr
Distance = 4 × 11/4 = 11 km
Therefore , time = distance / speed
= 11/16.5 = 40 min.
(9) Tam can travels 900 km at 60kmph. He then travels another 600km at 40kmph. What is the average speed ?
Solution – Time taken 900 km = 900/60 = 15 hour.
Time taken 600 km = 600/ 60 = 15 hour
S1 = 60, S2= 40
S = 60 + 40/2 = 50km/ h.
I think it’s enough to understand the concepts. Best of luck for your exam. Further information stay connected with us.